9 April 2023

The Green Ribon

 

The Green Ribbon or das Grüne Band as it is called in German is the swath of land running from the Czech Republic to the Baltic Sea. It is a Green oasis left over from the old Inner German Border installations and mine fields between the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic. Much of it is a nature reserve.

In the Autumn of 2016 I had attempted to walk it. I was fit as I had already walked the Camino Via de la Plata some 1006 kms from Seville to Santiago, but sadly my right knee had other ideas. I had injured it badly before my attempt, but thought all would be OK. I only managed the first 220 kms before having to give up. In 2017 I was given a new knee and fully intended to finish my walk when the Pandemic struck and I had to stay at home like the rest of the country had to. 

I now intend to finish what I started but on my bike.





We've had a trial pack and I shall be taking my one man tent as well. We start out on Wednesday 12 April. Jürgen, my best friend, will collect us and drive us to a place called Einöd in Thüringen which is where I left off in 2016. It is number 14 on the map above and there is approximately 1200kms to the end. My attempt this time is also to try and raise money for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal. To this end I have created a Just Giving Account where one can donate money. 

https://www.justgiving.com/page/alan-tyson-carter-1680802126253

Just copy and past the link above and it will take you to the page where you can donate. Please give generously.

The Bears will write a Blog of our adventures as we go, so watch this space.

It just leaves me to wish you all a very Happy Easter!







No comments:

Post a Comment